Monday 10 May 2010

Baked potato skins, the ultimate by product use up

On the The Staff Canteen site, a question was raised at the end of last month from a chef who does his mash the baked potato method, he asked if anyone in the forum had any ideas for utilizing the skins beyond the deep fried tater skins and dip route, I had a little (very little) time on my hands, and a tray of potatoes in the oven already cooking so thought I would give this a little thought and see what I could come up with.

Armed with my baked potatoes, I set to work to try a couple of different ideas. the 3 thoughts I cam up with were:

A) A baked potato milk ice cream
B) Baked potato skin mash (after a concerned comment about the colour), had to give it a go just to see for myself
C) Basic mash, infused with the flavour of baked potato skins


I took the skins, some milk, cream, multidextrin, glucose, thyme, garlic and bay leaf and set them on the edge of the stove to infuse without boiling, from these I passed one completely for the ice cream, placed the skins from another into a pacojet beaker and covered (just with the milk) and in the 3rd placed the potato scooped from the skins, with enough milk to again just cover.






the 3 beakers then were frozen for 24 hours, happy with the current flavours, just not quite ready for what the next day would bring.

The following day, I removed A), B) & C) and churned. I will now begin by dismissing C) as the starchiness of the mix damn near broke the pacojet and the end result was vile.

B) this however whilst struggling to churn due to a reasonable high starch level came out a reasonable colour and had good flavour, unfortunately due to the starchy nature of the product felt like eating a frzoen mashed potato, not great, I left this to defrost and set to churn the milk. This was to prove to be the revelation I was hoping for.

Once churned, I had guessed the glucose and multidextrin levels accurately and it churned through the machine beautifully. the end product was a great textured, herby flavoured potato milk and began thinking of applications such as a parmesan risotto with the ice cream and other thoughts. I then defrosted this alongside B) to see what results I would get hot.

The milk defrosted into a rich creamy liquid, the skin mash just defrosted, to this I added a little butter and proceeded to warm it through in the traditional method, whilst this was heating I heated the milk with a little xnathan and agar to creat a fluid gel for a creamy mash texture.

The skin mash had a nice earthy colour and good flavour, however the texture was that of wallpaper paste and was ridiculously gloopy, so back to the drawing board I go with that, however the milk fluid gel worked very well served hot and again a number of different applications spring to mind including using spherification to create a jacketless jacket potato?? Hmmmm

Anyway, this is how I have whiled away my time this week, does anyone have any thoughts on what common by-product that normally lines our bins that we may be able to get one or more dishes or garnishes out of?



left to right: milk gel, skin mash potato, plain mash (great, bad, bad)

No comments:

Post a Comment