Monday 14 June 2010

Ridiculously expensive, considering what it is

Very quick drop in today, just finalizing the new menu post for this week just thought I would run this by you as it startled me last Friday

I recently re-vamped my banquet menus, lighter and fresher for the summer months, I usually try to work with the seasons but, and I will probably get hung for this, I am not blinkered by them, weather is different all year round, seasons vary in different countries, there are economies that rely on our occasional ignorance of seasons, just think about that next time you see french beans on a menu and you can be happy that a hard working Kenyan farmer is able to feed his family a little longer. Also in the past seasonability was sensibility as the price of a perfect local product was so low you would have to be stupid to ignore it, nowadays as the bandwagon is very full with conciencious chefs screaming pure seasonality, that the price in season is often similar or even higher than out of season.

Anyway, as usual I am digressing, the dish in question is one of my vegetarian offerings, not my strongest suit I admit, I am still perfecting the 'anything' fondant which will expand the vegetarian offering hugely, but until then I have a small repetiore of tried and tested dishes, one of these which appears regularly is a paella of garden vegetables which is chosen from the veg growing in my own garden at the time of cooking, I dont pick from my own garden, but I keep an eye on my garden and order accordingly, this year I chose to pair this with a rocket pesto and a saffron tuille, this brings me finally to the point of this post.



I like food to smack of the flavour that is mentioned, you should be left in no doubt that is what you ordered!

maybe for once i went too far
the recipe was, 1gm saffron threads, 500ml mix of veg stock, simple syrup, noilly prat. then rduce with strands in. once a teaspoon is reached I mix in a little malt extract, maltodextrin, flour. when I reached this point my concern began. there really didn't seem to be very much in the bowl.
so I got my silpat, scraped my usual shape and 3 tuilles later i was out of mix!!

not worrying about cost (a failing of mine), I cooked them thinking, wow these will be great, dramatic size tuille and intense colour and flavour.


a few fennel seeds, a little fleur de sel

let the cool, break a little off and taste

OH MY GOD, beautiful rich saffron taste, excellent crisp, lightly puffed texture

one small issue was I got all that impact from a piece about as bit as your small fingernail, here I have a tuille 10cm X 4 cm, so a change was required, 3 small bits dotted in the rice, lost it's impact but am happy with the flavour

the point of the post, food cost for the paella, vegetables, pesto and everything required to make the rice dish. £1.75., cost of the tuille if i kept to the large size £1.45

Oops!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this Alex.
    In fact just got your site off Staff Canteen and started browsing 4 minutes ago. It's 4.22am and I'm going to be losing some more sleep browsing you. Bastard! Why make a food blog so addictive? I'll try not to touch myself as I go through :-)
    Consider yourself bookmarked, subscribed, and followed on Twitter.
    Great, fresh, experimental style and interesting writing.
    regards,
    Shane, North Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shane,

    thanks very much for your kind words, and glad you enjoy the blog. We try and make it the best we can but as cooks we do tend to drift and rant a bit, so hope you understand. am not trying to re-create ideasinfood or anything, just record the silly things we get up to.

    love your blog too, and when I get my lazy ass sorted will do the following things back at ya, any thoughts or improvements you may think of please mail or post them here and we will see what we can do, also love questions that hurt both braincells, so again yourself or ANYONE wants to keep a semi bored chef amused then post your CULINARY conundrums here and we will get to play (I mean work).
    cheers chef, take care

    ReplyDelete