Monday 27 December 2010

A little thought out to chefs at christmastime

Just thought I would use a quick opportunity to try my new Xmas gadget out and the downloaded apps I've extensively researched (at least 10 minutes) to help me with future food photography on the go with my iPad.

That's the idea anyway but the reality I guess will be a new learning curve and a good few co..... Sorry mean errors, but I know a lot of you are chefs who read this and completely understand, anyone else reading this, welcome to our world. It's a world that maybe should not be entered without trepidation, not that I wish to worry anyone, but any non-chef who has stumbled upon the chef website www.thestaffcanteen.com or has tried following the more hardcore chefs on twitter must have thought that the banter between us can appear somewhat intimidating to the non believer, not that I am going to bother explaining it here just thought I would make the difference clear.

Anyway as so many of my colleagues who work in hotels and venues that I have worked in, in the past are still toiling through this season, I sit here in the warm comfort of my lounge surrounded by family some chilling, some playing and at the moment some, not without too much excruciating pain, attempting our new family karaoke machine, ah well some gifts are destined to the 'regret I bought them' pile.

I have not worked a Christmas in 10 years, not a new year now in 2 years, and I count myself lucky for the job I hold. We closed on the 23rd and return open on the 4th of january, time in this industry where I our have never dreamed off such a holiday from my humble beginning in 1990.

I just want to acknowledge the chefs who's christmas, boxing and new years days are just another bloody day. Only difference is sod all is open but you. I have heard resounding echos of bah humbug from working chefs. Now whist they come across as complete grinches without an ounce of seasonal love in their bodies, whilst I'm tweeting of my xmas luck and joy, I just want you guys to know, I haven't forgotten the 'joy' of Xmas bloody turkey, smoked salmon plates galore, and trying not to cock up and curdle the brandy sauce, thinking of ya guys, hope you have a decent break sometime soon. Especially out to ex colleagues who I worked with at the following:





One Aldwych
Richmond arms at goodwood
Wentworth golf club
Berystede in ascot

Glad to now not be in the seasonal firing line, Glad to be working at the club I'm at now.




Here's to many more christmasses not at work next post (worth reading) will probably be from G when he returns from his stage at Noma. Looking forward to it myself, will have a little to scribble about when I go there at the end of the month.



Noma inspired: slow roast cauliflower with goat butter and spruce fir. Ridiculously simple, outrageously delicious

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad from wherever I may be at the time

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the whole 'time off' issue, as a chef. I consider myself pretty lucky in as much as we only open til christmas day, then close until the middle of january. This year is even better for me, as I have a lot of time owing and wont return to work until february.
    Incidentally, is the blogpress app for ipad suitable for all formats? I use blogger, and wondered about compatibility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Alex.
    Nice to know somebody cares.
    A nicely written piece and it's really appreciated.
    Your culinary muse has a Stage at Noma........lucky bastard ;-)
    Have a great New Year big fella.
    warmest regards from (busy) Da Nang, Vietnam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only just started using blogpress and had no issues with that post, also use a few pic editing things on the pad and adding images to the listing was ultra easy

    ReplyDelete